Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster, Roger Chartier and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

Late 1800's The Hacienda Buiding
New Bedford, Ma.

The Hacienda Building was erected in the late 1800's in New Bedford on the corner of 923 Acushnet Avenue.

Later street numbers changed, and in 1909, it was listed as 941 - 953 Acushnet Avenue.

The Pease Prescription Pharmacy was a drug store located on the northwest corner of Cook & Smith's Hacienda building.

It was one of the most complete and elegantly furnished drug stores in the whole city.

The pharmacy was established in 1887 and moved into the Hacienda location in 1893. The store also carried a full line of seeds.

Several other stores were located in the building creating a one stop shopping area for local residents.

The "People's Party" had their headquarters in the southwest part of the building in 1908.
The Hacienda Hall in the building was the site of many meetings of social groups and functions.

Click both photos of the Hacienda Building for enlargement and more detail

1897 photo Hacienda Buiding New Bedford, Ma. www.WhalingCity.net

Below is a 1908 colorized photo of the Hacienda Building looking from the south
1908 Picture of Hacienda Building in New Bedford, Ma. www.WhalingCity.net
 
 
 

 


www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com