Lighthouse -
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron -
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster, Roger Chartier and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier


1800's Scene At the Bottom Of Centre Street

A Man And A Cart - A load Of Oil Casks - Junk Store - Blacksmith - New Bedford

This was a working waterfront and this scene is of the businesses that supplied the whaling, commercial fishing and cargo ships.

There are interesting things to note here such as the buildings of rubble stone, as well as wood and cobblestone streets.

On the left, a man is tending to a couple of yoked draft animals.

Below are some directory advertisements for the businesses in the picture as well as a reference map.

The third building going up the street on the right is the stone construction known as the Kaller Building that was renovated by R.P Valois and Co.

There is some good information on it on this other web page about Centre Street in later years

Click the picture to enlarge it.

Centre Street New Bedford 1800's with whale oil casks -

1881 New Bedford Direectory - Junk Dealer AD - This ad is for the Blacksmith shop on the right in the picture.Watkins Steel and Iron Listing in the New Bedford 1881 Directory -

1871 Directory Listings for The Junk Store on the left and the Watkins Iron And Steel on the Right

Below a street map of the general waterfront area as if is in 2010 for reference.

2010 Downtown New Bedford map section -