Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster, Roger Chartier and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

1893 Davis & Hatch Spice Co.
26 Union St - New Bedford

Photo from 1893
Davis & Hatch's store and factory located on 26 Union Street was the only business that dealt with grinding spices, cream of tartar and grinding and roasting coffee in New Bedford.
There was only one other similar business in Southern Massachusetts.

The business was started on High Street in 1865 by Timothy Davis and Thatcher Hatch.

Sometime around 1887 the business moved to the new address at 26 Union Street and in 1893 it was bought by Frank E. Fowler who in 1897 was still the manager and owner.

The factory part of the business was set up in the rear of the building, where they manufactured and packaged all of the ordinary spices in a convenient form for market.

Besides teas and coffee the company manufactured and put up cream of tartar, extracts, saleratus, baking powder, ammonia, blueing, which hazel, bay rum, insect powder, etc.

A specialty was Hatch's Non-Alcoholic Crystal Ginger as a dry form in small tins.

In 1923 Frank Fowler and his wife Sarah L Fowler still had the business listed at 26 Union and lived at 42 Foster Sreet.

Click the pic for an enlarged view for more details.

1897 photo Davis and Hatch - New Bedford - www.whalingCity.net
 
 
 

 


www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com