Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster, Roger Chartier and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

1897 New Bedford Library and Odd Fellows Hall
New Bedford, Ma.

In 1897, this image was taken showing the street scene on a sunny summer day facing the library.

The Odd Fellows Hall on 628 Pleasant Street is building on the right. The library, 133 William Street on the left was in the same building that is now City Hall.

In 1897, when the photo was taken the City Hall was in the building across the street to the right and behind the scene we are seeing here. The view is of William Street and Pleasant Street.

In 1910, a fire in the city hall brought about it's change of use to become the library.
The library books and operations were moved from 133 William Street across the street into 613 Pleasant Street which was the former City Hall.

The City Hall offices moved across the street to 133 William Street, where they are today.
They switched buildings.
Odd Fellows Hall was built between 1890 and 1897. The building materials bought from Charles S. Paisler. The Odd Fellows were a group somewhat similar to Freemasons or Elks etc.
Several businesses, as well as the Kinyon Commercial School, were located in part of the building.

Click the photos below for enlargement and more detail.
Below are 4 pictures of:
The Library and Odd Fellows Hall - Reading Room in the Library - Odd Fellows Hall - and a Modern View of the area.

1897 New Bedford Library and Odd Fellows Hall - www.Whalingcity.net

Below - The reading room in the library
1897 New Bedford Library Reading Room - www.WhalingCity.net
odd Fellows Hall - New Bedford Ma. - www.WhalingCity.net
The picture above is of the Odd Fellows Hall taken after the turn of the century in or about 1910.
Below slightly similar as the top image view from 2009 or 2010.
Notice the change to the top floor of the Odd Fellows hall.
2010 City Hall New Bedford  - www.WhalingCity.net
 
 

 


www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com