Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
Free 2014 Monthly Calendar
Free 2015 Monthly Calendar
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

1910 - Union Street Railway Company
and Talbot's, Cherry& Webb, C.F Wings stores
New Bedford

PHOTOS BELOW
The history of this corner is intriguing. The corner of the building was a waiting room and the terminal for the Electric Trolley system that ran until they were slowly replaced by busses beginning in 1933 when the New Bedford - fall River run was changed to busses.

Let me refer you to an earlier time when another Haskell and Tripp's building occupied the same space.
Haskell and Tripp
The Haskell and Tripp building was replaced by this building on the corner of Purchase and William Streets.
Research in City directories tells us that in 1905 Cherry & Co (Cherry and Webb) was at 40 Purchase Street.
In 1907, the Union Street Railway Station was listed as being exactly on the corner of that building which would have been 50 Purchase Street. Click the picture below for better detail.

The Talbot's Clothing store was listed at 44 - 48 Purchase, Cherry & Co sold cloaks and suits at 40 Purchase st. and C.F Wing was a household goods dealer who advertised "Talking Machines, etc." at 34 - 38 Purchase.

A new Cherry's store was designed by architect Herbert R. Hunt, who collaborated with developer William S. Cherry in 1916, on the new Cherry and Webb department store. The company was always expanding it's footprint in that downtown location.

The 1923 New Bedford directory lists Cherry's as having additional entrances on 72 - 80 William Street.

In 1931, the building that now stands on that corner location (not this picture) was erected by Cherry & Co.
It opened with 5 floors and 70,000 square feet of space for selling goods such as fine furs and clothing for infants, children, juniors, misses, and women. Cherry & Co. closed the downtown store in 1998 and moved it's local retail business to the North Dartmouth Mall only to file bankruptcy in 2000.

Between 1912 nd 1913 as mentioned on the Haskell and Tripp page the city changed the street numbers. At that time, the corner address of Purchase and William Streets became 814 Purchase Street.
Click the photograph to see a larger version of the same.

Union Street railway building with talbot's, Cherry 7 Co. and C.F. Wing - www.WhalingCity.net

Union Street Railway New Bedford Directory listing - www.WhalingCity.net

 
 
 

 


www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com