On November 17, 1842, this Orphan's home opened with 4 children at first.
This is a sketch of the Orphan's Home that was on Point Rd.
Point Road was later named French Avenue and then later West Rodney French Blvd.
At the earliest time, the whole block may have been open with only the Orphan's Home on it.
The Orphan's Home moved to a newer facility on Taber Street in 1898.
Below is an 1871 map showing the location. Now there is a library on the same spot.