Died Nov. 1, 1890. He
was a hero and a member of the fire department. In those days, firefighters were referred to as firemen.
On Oct. 14, 1890, he was having supper with people with whom he lived at 107 Cedar Street, and he heard an explosion from the apartment above.
He ran up there and found a woman completely enveloped in flames from an accident with a can of petroleum.
He wrapped his arms around her and carried her down stairs to be able to put a blanket on her to smother the flames.
Mr. Spooner was also badly burned, and they both died shortly thereafter.